Sunday, November 17, 2013

Collaboration Canvas

When I found out that I had to make a remixed canvas I knew that I didn't want to chose the obvious choice of physics. So instead I chose music because, as much as people know that math and music are related, I feel like it is often something that is overlooked and could help students make a connection between what they are doing in the classroom and what they are doing in real life. First, though, I had to find a music lesson that I knew I could incorporate math into and make it age appropriate as well. There was no point in talking about subgroups of note sets if the subject of sets is barely even covered until linear algebra. That is when I found the topics of triads. By connecting musical triads to mathematical triads I can help students explore the Pythagorean theorem, and also give them an idea on how it relates to the real world and the music they listen to. By extending this to the topic of musical structure I can help them "hear" conditional probability. Coupling this with a video and some outside sources I hope show the relationship between math and music.

Linked here is the original canvas
Linked here is my remixed canvas

1 comment:

  1. I think choosing music to connect with math is a great idea! I come from a background in music and am always fascinated at how many math skills can be seen in musical activities. This can relation can be traced back to the days of ancient Greece where so much of the theories and information we have today come from. A side note in regard to the Pythagorean theorem: if you have not heard of the band Tool they have a song called Lateralus where they quote the Pythagorean theorem though the syllables of the words from the singer and time signature changes the band plays. Thought you might find that interesting!

    ReplyDelete